TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2023-24

J53

Star Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
  • Jan 12, 2024
    Hi everyone, I am in desperate need of advice.

After many rejections and struggling to secure a TC, I have started questioning whether my work experience is enough. I have completed a 2 months part time internship with a start-up, a 3 months graduate internship in operations, a vac scheme at a MC firm (which I did not convert to TC), an insight week at a MC firm, and around 8-9 open days. + I have a couple of decent extra curriculars too but that was during my year abroad. I am currently doing the PGDL, having graduated last summer. I am really struggling to get to interviews, I feel like I don't have enough experience to stand out.

What kind of work experience should I aim for in my CV? I was planning to apply for a grad scheme (like business development or something with the Competition and Markets Authority) after my PGDL, and while on the grad scheme I'd keep applying to training contracts. I am also aware of the paralegal route; however, opportunities for paralegals outside London are limited. Or should I just aim for a legal assistant role after my PGDL and keep applying to vac schemes and TCs?

I genuinely can't afford to be unemployed after the end of my PGDL and I really don't know which job would put me in the best position when applying for TCs or vac schemes. What kind of role/work experience/job would provide me with something to standout?

I know people with way less work experience than me securing TCs and I genuinely don't get what law firms look for. My application writing skills are decent too. @Jessica Booker please feel free to give your view on this

Thanks everyone, really loosing hope with each rejection
    Yes your work experience is enough, that is way more than the vast majority of us. As I think someone earlier said, something client facing could be good, but I don't see this as big a stumbling block as you think it is. A vac scheme and an insight week at an MC firm suggests that you have the academics, and base intelligence to get a TC, as well as the ability to write good applications. What was the feedback from the VS and insight week?

Seven

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    May 15, 2022
    Hi everyone, ive been struggling a bit with how to approach the following application questions for Fox Williams as they are pretty unique, any help would be much appreciated!

1. Using AI, write an e-mail selling Fox Williams to a potential client, seeking employment advice.
    2. Reviewing AI’s response, would you amend or add anything to best reflect Fox Williams’ capability in this area? If so, please detail below.
    These are cute questions. I’d say spend some time first research Fox Williams’ expertise in Employment Law, how they can best assist clients in this field, maybe rankings and awards, any matters they’ve done in this space before, etc.

Then put all that information in Bing AI or whatever language model you use. Ask the bot to “Make an email selling Fox Williams to a potential client, seeking employment advice with the following information: [your research]”

I imagine the AI’s response will come out with legal jargon, complex and flowery language, and not concise.

With Q.2 I would then talk about making it concise, making it easily digestible to clients who don’t have legal knowledge, making it more tailored to Fox Williams, removing legal jargon, breaking it into sections maybe, adding a thought leadership article as an attachment or brochure of Fox Williams’ expertise in this area for the client to read, etc.

Just be very specific especially when targeting Q2 as the emphasis is on “to best reflect Fox Williams’ capability in this area”

There’s several ways to approach it, but this should give you a little bit of an idea.

BM99

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Sep 12, 2021

LehmanBrothersRiskManagementIntern

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Aug 23, 2023
    Yes your work experience is enough, that is way more than the vast majority of us. As I think someone earlier said, something client facing could be good, but I don't see this as big a stumbling block as you think it is. A vac scheme and an insight week at an MC firm suggests that you have the academics, and base intelligence to get a TC, as well as the ability to write good applications. What was the feedback from the VS and insight week?
    Thanks for the advice! The insight week was with the same firm where I did the vac scheme. I was fast-tracked to the AC due to my strong performance during the insight week. Following the exit interview, I was told that I lacked confidence when presented with complex questions and that my commercial awareness could be stronger. That was the only negative feedback that I received; the remaining feedback from my supervisor and group tasks was was all positive.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.