TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2023-24

aspiringlawyer47

Legendary Member
Premium Member
  • May 27, 2022
    thank you so much for this!! that's honestly how i felt because the rejection email literally said "although you came across well, unfortunately...", and it feels so discouraging if even these 'smaller' firms think i'm not good enough for them.
    but you're right, i shouldn't let that rejection get to me that easily but it really does feel disheartening when you think a firm is the perfect match for you but they don't. but anyway! life moves on, will just keep applying until someone says yes 😌
    Exactly! It takes one yes and separately, an application cycle will always change your perspective on a firm. The ones you seem to overlook for one reason or another may be the ones you end falling in love with (speaking from personal experience) :D

Ash2323

Distinguished Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Nov 2, 2023
    Hey all,

Those of you who haven't secured a VS yet, are you still applying for Direct TCs this year? I only ask as it is my first cycle, but work full-time (legal but not in corporate). Just wondering if you can apply to a TC without VS experience - and if so are we at a disadvantage?

therealslimshady

Star Member
    Feb 27, 2024
    Hey all,

Those of you who haven't secured a VS yet, are you still applying for Direct TCs this year? I only ask as it is my first cycle, but work full-time (legal but not in corporate). Just wondering if you can apply to a TC without VS experience - and if so are we at a disadvantage?
    You can definitely apply to a TC without VS experience. I have completed several VSs but there are candidates that get a TC with no VS experience.

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Sep 14, 2023
    It seems like the magic circle law firm ( Slaughter, Freshfields and Clifford Chance) only provide the direct TC if you after your penultimate year, so the only way to get into these firms is to reapply if unsuccessful? In addition, do you think it would be helpful if add a summer/ winter vacation scheme when applying the TC route.
    I do think that having vacation schemes in your experiences does help you when applying for direct training contracts but it does not mean that if you do not have them, you will not be successful. I know people with no legal experience whatsoever who were successful in securing training contract offers.

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Sep 14, 2023
    An app is stating: "Please provide details of all modules which are counted towards your final degree grade. In order to complete the section you need to include at least 1 module". Does this mean we don't include our first year grades if they are not weighed in the end grade? (My uni was 25% 2nd year and 75% final year). Or should we still include them because without them we would not have a degree?
    I personally would include them. I think they are mainly referring to modules that people might have done that did not count but not including your whole first year grades does not seem like something law firms would not want to see only because they did not count in your university. I would say to still include them!

Reactions: AlegalA

Chelsea1

Star Member
  • Aug 7, 2023
    Hey guys, when in an interview where you have been given the names of the interviewers is it okay to mention that you have had a similar experience to one of the interviewers (non-law related.) One of the panellists at the organisation volunteered at the same place I did when they were a student (found out by LinkedIn lurking), is it okay to make a passing comment like "I volunteered at the same place you did when you were a student Bob, the skills I have developed doing xyz..."

Would this be a good idea or be seen as too forward 😂

Reactions: axelbeugre

Lawyer500

Distinguished Member
    Jan 24, 2024
    Out of interest, why do some firms send out successful/ unsuccessful correspondence in one batch and then take longer ie a day or more to send out the opposite outcome to the other candidates? Not sure if I made any sense! I’m not so much meaning after the final stage as I understand reasons for why that could be. Do you @Jessica Booker by any chance have any insight of why this is? thank you!!

rosec

Esteemed Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Nov 25, 2022
    Exactly! It takes one yes and separately, an application cycle will always change your perspective on a firm. The ones you seem to overlook for one reason or another may be the ones you end falling in love with (speaking from personal experience) :D
    I second this!! Keeping an open mind is so important whilst going through the application cycle, you might think you know what you want until you get to another firm and are forced to reconsider and it ends up being way better for you (also speaking from experience!) :)

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.