Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hey all, new to this, but absolutely stressing out after an AC question I had today.

I was asked if I could invite someone famous to a dinner party, who would I choose to invite. I panicked as had no clue, so said Jurgen Klopp (the Liverpool manager). I backed it up by wanting to know how he's inspired huge comebacks/motivates players from setbacks/resilience and would want to know how he came to a difficult decision to walk away from something he loves. I tried to link this to a law firm and said you'd face setbacks as a trainee and hard choices.

The interviewer didn't really react much but worried it's an immature/unsophisticated answer. Feel I've blown it from what is effectively an arbitrary question.
I wouldn’t worry about this. It’s not who you pick it, it’s how you describe them as being interesting people to talk with and you have done this.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
What are some ways to make an employee leave? And deal with an employee who is doing harmful stuff to the company?

I can think of going over their contract and see if they can be fired and giving them garden leave. But I think there could be more ways/steps that I could take.
Would appreciate help or input :)
If they are doing harmful things to the company they are likely to be in breach of contract and would be investigated/disciplined because of that. You wouldn’t really have to consider any other way if there was clear evidence of the harming the company.

Reactions: Untilwinter

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 14, 2023
@axelbeugre @Jessica Booker a couple of us on the forum did an AC with W&C last week and they said they would be in touch by the end of last week or early this week and so far only one person has heard back with an offer and no one else has heard either with an offer or rejection. Is this a bad sign that their response is now out of their quoted period? Some insight on this would be appreciated.
It is really hard to tell unfortunately but unless you have not received a formal rejection, it means you are still under consideration so I would not look too much into this as they are probably extremely busy with assessment centres.

Wait until the end of this week and if you did not hear by the start of next week, the you could email them asking for an update, however the fact that someone received an offer earlier might not mean anything. They might have asked for an earlier update because they had other schemes that clashed, which is always possible so do not worry too much about this and good luck!

Reactions: Amehta1

elektrajenkov

Star Member
Dec 20, 2023
Freshfields VS offer!!!!! I’m still in denial, I need to look at the email about 15 times a day to make sure it’s not a prank.

I have a question: Has anyone heard of a case with Freshfields or even another firm providing or paying for accommodation? I live in London currently but in student accommodation and I will not have accommodation over the course of the programme.
Congrats!!! While not for Freshfields, I accepted a place at a firm for a SVS that had never mentioned extra funding or anything for housing, etc. and I emailed them (because I don’t even live in London and it’s expensive in the middle of June😭) about it, and they straight away offered to pay for a hotel for me! Can never hurt asking given they know how expensive it can be!

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.