TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2023-24

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 14, 2023
If you get progressed to interview stages for firms in one cycle, is it necessary the same will happen next cycle?
Unfortunately this is hard to tell but realistically speaking no. I have friends who applied to firms that they interviewed with the year before and still got rejected after application stage and did not receive an interview.

I think it depends on the strength of your application and how the competition is that year but if the firm does not stop you from applying (because some do if you got rejected from the assessment centre stage) I would encourage you to apply and make your application from scratch, highlighting what changed in your application and I am sure you will be invited for an interview again!

Reactions: tcplease2345

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 14, 2023
Are there any disadvantages to applying for a direct training contract with a firm as opposed to going through the vacation scheme route? @Jessica Booker @axelbeugre
Alongside what @Jessica Booker has highlighted, it is important to note that there are less spots for direct training contracts. Some firms only recruit 1 or 2 people from the direct training contract route, which makes the process very hard.

Moreover, some firms only recruit from the vacation scheme which means that you will not be able to apply to those firms.

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 14, 2023
Hi @axelbeugre this might be a stupid question but which practice helps the client to determine how an acquistion should be structured? would this just be corporate?
This is not a stupid question in the slightest so do not apologise!

I would say Corporate, M&A, Finance, Antitrust, Real Estate (in some instances). I think that these are some of the things I would consider.

Reactions: Jaysen

confusedlawstudent

Legendary Member
Premium Member
  • Oct 28, 2021
    Hi everyone, I have a bit of a problem it would be great to get some advice on! So I’ve been offered a Vacation Scheme in Leeds. When I applied I had the full intention of staying in Leeds for the foreseeable future, but now my circumstances have changed and I have moved to London. I know that regional firms don’t like it when you ask to transfer to London but I’m wondering is it worth asking? Of course if they say I can’t do the VS in London, I will still do it in Leeds. But if I even ask about transferring to London will that give me a bad reputation ? Do you think there is a possibility they could put me on the London VS instead or is this going to be an absolute no?

Reactions: axelbeugre

bella98

Legendary Member
  • Mar 9, 2023
    Is it appropriate to bring a general table or key considerations notes to a case study preparation, or does it give a bad impression? I've never used notes in an AC before, as I know that bringing notes about motivation or personal details might seem inauthentic. However, what about for the case study? I don't know the specifics of the upcoming case study, but I've prepared some general notes that were helpful during an online case study with Hogan Lovells, as I could refer to them to identify key issues. What about doing something similar in person? The notes are just one and a half pages, so it's not excessive. But I’m not too sure…

@Jessica Booker I would also like to know your opinion about this, please!

Arf1309

Valued Member
    Dec 7, 2022
    On the CMS website it says that the insight scheme may fast-track you to an AC for a training contract. I’ve been offered a place on the IS but am nervous that it’ll lead to no TC offer 😩 does anyone have any advice?
    Hey! I asked my interviewer about this and she advised that everyone gets fast-tracked to an AC for a training contract! It must just be an error on their website!

Reactions: cgv3005 and s9111

tcplease2345

Valued Member
    Feb 6, 2024
    Unfortunately this is hard to tell but realistically speaking no. I have friends who applied to firms that they interviewed with the year before and still got rejected after application stage and did not receive an interview.

I think it depends on the strength of your application and how the competition is that year but if the firm does not stop you from applying (because some do if you got rejected from the assessment centre stage) I would encourage you to apply and make your application from scratch, highlighting what changed in your application and I am sure you will be invited for an interview again!
    On the website it says to wait 12 months before making another application if you fail at the interview stage. So I think it is possible to reapply the next cycle.

Reactions: axelbeugre

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.