TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2023-24

trainingcontract

Distinguished Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Oct 17, 2023
when I got my first VS offer i replied saying "this is the greatest moment of my life." (I got aired and probably wouldn't do this again😅)
When i got my verbal offer, the first thing I said was "please tell me you don't reject candidates over the phone" lol i'm sure they understand our outsized anxieties

l789

Aug 19, 2020
@Aks.Khurana Hi Aks! I applied for the first-year spring scheme at Latham but I (alongside a bunch of other applicants) haven't heard anything at all yet. The scheme is set to begin in April. Is Latham usually late with such responses? Or should I take this as a rejection?
@Aks.KhuranaHello Aks, hope all is well!

I haven’t received an interview invite/AC invite for the first year scheme and it’s almost the end of April, I’ve checked LinkedIn and people have been through the whole assessment centre for the scheme, and received an offer.

If Latham decided who to progress to interview/AC, surely they would reject and communicate this to everyone else whose application they didn’t progress in the same timeframe.

It’s very unfortunate :(

Last edited:
  • 🤝
Reactions: Sharon Wu

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 14, 2023
@Jessica Booker @axelbeugre I'm asking for an outcome / a tentative timeline on when I can hear back
I would stick to what I said then, you thank them for their time and effort, reinforce your interest in the firm, and explain that you need an earlier update and why.

This is what I personally used to do it when I wanted to ask for an earlier update and always received an answer, either on the phone or via email, the same day.

Reactions: lawbear123

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 14, 2023
@Jessica Booker @axelbeugre Would you say this is correct? Is there any benefit of self-funding SQE exams (just the exams - not the prep course)?
I agree with Jessica here, I think this depends on each individual's personal circumstances. If you have the money and you do not want to wait to get a training contract do sit the test, then you can do ahead and self-fund it yourself. I would say that the only benefit I see is that you do not have the pressure of passing on the first try because you do not have a sponsor (since some law firms want you to pass at first try).

However, this depends on whether you can afford it or not, so I would reflect on your situation and see if the only benefit I just mentioned is important to you or not.

law2022x

Legendary Member
Feb 21, 2022
Can we make a pact that if anyone hears back from PH they'll let everyone else know? The anticipation is killing me and I am trying to finalise my plans for summer lol so I just NEED TO KNOW atp...
i’ve been taking a break from the forum a bit to preserve my MH a bit after an upsetting PFO.

but can someone let me know if Paul Hastings have progressed anyone post app?

I got a Winston WG invite just now though for others reading this hence coming back to this forum

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
Staff member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    @Jessica Booker @Jaysen @axelbeugre Hi guys, a handful of us on here, myself included, have been lucky enough to secure 15 minute telephone interviews with Browne Jacobson. I was wondering if you had any advice on how to maximise chances of moving forward in the process despite such a short interview slot. It's my first ever application cycle as a non-law grad currently working outside of the legal profession trying to convert to law, so any intel and insight will be much much appreciated! :)

The nice thing about a short telephone interview is that you won't be asked that many questions, especially taken into account the introduction and a brief opportunity to ask any questions. Here are a few thoughts:

1. Test out the location that you are taking the phone call in. Make sure you have a good signal.
    2. If you can find someone to help, do a practise telephone interview in that location (it helps to simulate the real thing) - even if it's just a family member to ask you a few questions.
    3. The challenge of a telephone interview is it's a little trickier to build a rapport when they can't see you. Still, there is a lot you can carry in your voice - expressiveness, varying your tone, smiling.
    4. Remember to breathe! Most people speak too fast, and this can be amplified over the phone because it's hard to know when to pause when you can't see the recipient. Practise making a point and pausing before moving onto your next point.
    5. As @axelbeugre said, I'd treat it like a real interview (it just won't be as thorough). I'd see a telephone interview as a filter before the next stage, so you want to nail your motivations (why do you want to be a solicitor? Why Browne Jacobson?) if you are asked this.
    6. You might find it helpful to motivate yourself before the call starts - I used to watch motivational videos, or listen to music, which helped me to get into the right headspace. Remember, you've done really well to get this in your first application cycle. It's a person on the other side and that person just wants to get to know you better. You can't control the outcome, but you can concentrate on showing up in that way that would make yourself proud.

Wishing you the best of luck!

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.