TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2023-24

CallumJR

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Jul 16, 2020
How do people answer „why this firm“ in interviews?

I have had several interviews and always
received the feedback that my answer for „why this firm“ was weak / too superficial.

I usually go with three points:
- deal / practices area that interests me
- technology / innovation
- culture / CRS

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
How do people answer „why this firm“ in interviews?

I have had several interviews and always
received the feedback that my answer for „why this firm“ was weak / too superficial.

I usually go with three points:
- deal / practices area that interests me
- technology / innovation
- culture / CRS
It might be that there is not enough “you” or “why” in the answer - all of those things could be claimed by many applicants, but they want to get to the reasoning as to why you (as a unique applicant) are interested in these things or why they are important to you.

Alternatively, it may be that there is not enough specifically about the firm. Those are broad topics that apply to lots of firms - so what is it about the specifics of the firm’s CSR initiatives (rather than CSR broadly), what is it about the firm’s innovation that is particularly important or stands out to you, especially as to how it will impact your career and responsibilities as a trainee/junior lawyer?

• Love
Reactions: AlexJ and CallumJR

RonRod13

Esteemed Member
Nov 18, 2023
Does anyone else feel like HR and partners are after two different things in an interview? What tips do people have for initial first round interviews with grad rec? And what tips do people have for interviews with partners?

WB2024

May 1, 2024
Their deadline was today so they’ll probably start getting back to people starting next week.

I don't want to derail this thread but I can't scroll past this comment without warning people applying here.

I would strongly recommend not training at that firm. They have no real training structure (you won't always be trained by someone England and Wales qualified), their HR is clueless, they overhire and most trainees are unlikely to be retained. The issue is if you return to the UK no one will have heard of them and if you stay out in the Middle East you may struggle to find a junior position (there aren't many around), you'll be stuck in limbo.

This is without mentioning the strong levels of racism which exist across the firm which can affect your work, the below-market salaries and the very questionable work they are often involved with (it won't get you struck off but only if the SRA don't find out).

By all means, apply to other firms across the Middle East but stay away from smaller regional firms which don't have offices in the UK.

Edit - happy to answer questions about the firm in PMs (not related to the application or interview process).

Last edited:

EzeLaylor

• Oct 15, 2021

Biglaw simp

Apr 4, 2024
    Hi guys,
    Just wanted some advice on the following: I've recently received a TC offer off the back of a spring VS from a firm I really like, and the deadline for acceptance is May 31st. I also have a VS at another firm I like from June 3rd-7th. I would love the opportunity to spend time at both firms and make a decision from there, but am worried at what a firm's attitude towards me asking for an extension to acceptance would be (lack of commitment etc). Anyone have any suggestions as to what to do/how to word it? Should I just accept the offer I have given I really like the firm? Not sure if this is relevant but both TCs would be a sept 2025 start.

lookingforaTC

Star Member
    Feb 16, 2024
    Hi guys,
    Just wanted some advice on the following: I've recently received a TC offer off the back of a spring VS from a firm I really like, and the deadline for acceptance is May 31st. I also have a VS at another firm I like from June 3rd-7th. I would love the opportunity to spend time at both firms and make a decision from there, but am worried at what a firm's attitude towards me asking for an extension to acceptance would be (lack of commitment etc). Anyone have any suggestions as to what to do/how to word it? Should I just accept the offer I have given I really like the firm? Not sure if this is relevant but both TCs would be a sept 2025 start.
    Just accept it and rescind later on if you get the offer from the other firm

desperateTCseeker1998

Valued Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Jan 1, 2023
    Thanks @LehmanBrothersRiskManagementIntern

I've emailed both firms but haven't received an answer yet😭😭 - If anyone knows if Weil or Latham let you reapply for a TC after not converting a VS, please help a guy out🥲
    I emailed Latham about whether their direct TC route will be open at all this year and they said it’s very unlikely they’re going to open it…

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.