TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2023-24

neonorange

Distinguished Member
Feb 2, 2024
@Jessica Booker Mother please come and give these kids some slaps or at least something to worry about.
I don't know, I sort of love when it's obvious that everyone is so stressed about hearing back and interviews and ACs that we devolve into "are Ferrari and Tesla competitors" chat. Slightly more interesting than endless "have u heard from withers".

3000to1shoteverytime

Distinguished Member
Dec 9, 2023
The commercial law academy is fighting for the same market share as TCLA? That doesn’t make sense, how can it be fighting against itself?

And this example only reinforces my point further if anything. TCLA is specifically in the business of helping people get into LAW. It’s found a niche industry and producing a service within that niche industry. Their competitors would be chambers student, legal cheek etc and other businesses that try to help students get into LAW.

They are not competing against companies like Wall Street oasis, corporate finance institute etc. These are some of the companies that try to help students into BANKING (another niche area of business) you are comparing apples to oranges in your case.

The Commercial Law Academy is different to TCLA which is The Corporate Law Academy. So yes they are competitors and probably have an overlap of users.

Reactions: Percypig12

S87

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Sep 4, 2018
I don't know, I sort of love when it's obvious that everyone is so stressed about hearing back and interviews and ACs that we devolve into "are Ferrari and Tesla competitors" chat. Slightly more interesting than endless "have u heard from withers".
Well, as much as I would like to agree with you, but this thread has been created to ask "Have you heard from?". There is a tendency to get mean with one another when deviating from this topic.

elektrajenkov

Star Member
Dec 20, 2023
Hi guys! I have 2 applications in for Spring VS that have no more stages (completed everything, just waiting for offers/PFOs to be sent to people), but have had no indication when we'll hear from them. Given I would have to organise travel into London, staying in London, etc. for the duration and also have to arrange time off work for them, how long before they are due to start do you think its appropriate to email/call and ask for an update? It's currently about 5 weeks out from the one starting and 6 weeks for the other.

RonRod13

Distinguished Member
Nov 18, 2023
But just because they are in the same industry does not mean they compete, I could set up a firm tomorrow, I would technically be a law firm and be in the business of law firms, but I would not be competing with White and Case as we're aiming for different things
Absolutely agree with this, and that is because you would not classify as a US commercial law firm. And as I said previously: W&C’s competitors will be other US law firms. My argument still stands.

Furthermore, to go back to the Ferrari and Tesla example, they are certainly more aligned than you may think. Ferrari have recently rolled out their new line of hybrid EV models which accounted for 44% of its deliveries last year. This shows that they could indeed be transferring into the EV industry and very much be rivalling Tesla and other EV car manufacturers. (Some free commercial awareness for you :) )

Last edited:

legally.brown

Legendary Member
  • Sep 27, 2021
    Absolutely agree with this, and that is because you would not classify as a US commercial law firm. And as I said previously: W&C’s competitors will be other US law firms. My argument still stands.

Furthermore, to go back to the Ferrari and Tesla example, they are certainly more aligned than you may think. Ferrari have recently rolled out their new line of hybrid EV models which accounted for 44% of its deliveries last year. This shows that they could indeed be transferring into the EV industry and very much be rivalling Tesla and other EV car manufacturers. (Some free commercial awareness for you :) )
    I am just gonna say what Jessica usually says. If you really want to discuss this, create a new thread and discuss !!

Also why are we even being snarky/ sarcastic? We are all going through enough already. Let’s just be nice? It’s really not that hard.

S87

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Sep 4, 2018
    I can’t think of one product waitrose has that changed my life 😓 Colin on the other hand 🐛👹
    I usually buy meat from my local butcher, but Waitrose sirloin steaks are to die for. Anyway, my favourite supermarket is Sainsbury's for the generic items. They are cheap and good..but I admit that I shop around a lot. For example, I go to savers for toiletries and cleaning stuff.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.