Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
For a in-person AC, are you generally allowed to bring in pre-written notes? Also, will you be able to write notes during the AC day itself (written exercise/case study/partner interview etc)?
You can bring notes but I’d advise not to really use them in assessments too much - it’s important to use them sparingly. You want to show genuine response rather than rehearsed ones. You can make notes during assessments though.

Reactions: lawstudent15

GWJlaw

Star Member
Nov 6, 2023
From my experience, I could only open the task at a certain time and it was only open for 30 minutes through an online platform - I had to write directly into the platform text box my answer, the submissions automatically saved over x period of time. Other than that no active supervision, I presume just checking the text box for progress. There was no camera or screen recording aspect.
Hiya Ella, do you remember which platform this was, e.g - topscore, or Byrter ??

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Thank you! Would be planning to do it in an interview answer - main point is international work, second dispute strength and final would be mentioning pro bono. I feel those are my core motivations but perhaps trying to mention the culture/another aspect of the work/strategy would be more effective or tailored?
That is fine then. Dont try and force your answer into something you think they expect - go with what is important to you.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Does anyone know how many words are expected if I am given 30 minutes for a written exercise
You won’t be expected to write a number of words. Sometimes you will be given a guideline on what to aim for in terms of how much to write (eg a paragraph, a page of a4) but this can vary a lot from exercise to exercise. Worry more about the quality than quantity of what you write.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Has anyone completed a written exercise as part of a virtual assessment centre? I'm interested in understanding how it's conducted. Do they expect you to work on it by yourself, or do they supervise you through a platform like Teams?
I know it depends but please share your insights with me🥹
Sometimes supervised either formally through someone observing on Teams or some of the assessment centre platforms record you while you take the assessment.

Sometimes you will just get the assessment at a fixed time and be asked to return it within a deadline though with no supervision.

• ℹ️
Reactions: bella98

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
When people say they bomb an interview. Is it because of your actual performance? Confidence? Quality of answers? Just seeking how to improve
Candidates are often not the best judgement as they tend to be over critical. They think they “bomb” but that is rarely the case.

GWJlaw

Star Member
Nov 6, 2023
Hiya @Jessica Booker, with virtual assessment centres and written exercises that require you to write directly into the platform text box and automatically save over a period of time, how would you plan your answer/ make notes on the documents. Would you recommend having a separate word document open to plan before writing in to the text box? Or is the point that you don't have planning time or notes ?

Reactions: bella98

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hiya @Jessica Booker, with virtual assessment centres and written exercises that require you to write directly into the platform text box and automatically save over a period of time, how would you plan your answer/ make notes on the documents. Would you recommend having a separate word document open to plan before writing in to the text box? Or is the point that you don't have planning time or notes ?
Really depends what works for you and the nature of the assessment.

You might be asked through the instructions given to you to not use other software and then copy and paste your answer in. In that situation, you’d need to type in the platform as you go. But you could potentially use written notes rather than on Word to do this instead.

If you are allowed to copy and paste from another platform you could do this, but I would do an early test of the platform (early on in the exercise timeframe) that this works, as sometimes certain formatting can go a bit funny when transferred to these platforms, and you may lose things like bullet point or italic formatting.

axab23

Gold Member
Premium Member
Sep 13, 2023
anything from linklaters?
I received this email this morning:

Thank you for your application to Linklaters. We are in the process of reviewing applications and will be in contact in the next few weeks to advise of your outcome. In the meantime, please do contact us at [email protected] if you have any questions.

Thank you for your patience.

Regards,

The Linklaters Team.

Reactions: atlas2425

GWJlaw

Star Member
Nov 6, 2023
Really depends what works for you and the nature of the assessment.

You might be asked through the instructions given to you to not use other software and then copy and paste your answer in. In that situation, you’d need to type in the platform as you go. But you could potentially use written notes rather than on Word to do this instead.

If you are allowed to copy and paste from another platform you could do this, but I would do an early test of the platform (early on in the exercise timeframe) that this works, as sometimes certain formatting can go a bit funny when transferred to these platforms, and you may lose things like bullet point or italic formatting.
Thank you for the response, and yes, great point about the formatting I hadn't considered this. Written notes will be a fine alternative, thank you Jessica !!

yeezyee

Distinguished Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Dec 8, 2023
For Mayer Brown at an open day they mentioned their test was untimed but that they could see how long we took as grad recruitment. Is this something across recruitment teams? I took the BM test which is also untimed, but i’m typically entitled to extra time, so i’m worried i took longer than a “typical” candidate. Even though it’s mentioned in my application, is it worth emailing to point it out, or is there no point because the test was untimed? @Jessica Booker

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.