Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Ok thank you! Sorry one more q- Do you think it matters if I call or email?
You’ll most likely get a quicker response if you call, so it depends how long you are willing to wait for an answer.

I would call first and if you don’t get to speak to someone, then email.

Reactions: Lawyer500

BolderBlackPrincess

Dec 16, 2023
Not at all, I most definitely understand the competitiveness but having gaps in work experience really doesnt indicate incompetence or lack of skill. I’m basing it off what I’ve seen and have been advised from grad rec at events I’ve been to. You can sell yourself remarkably either way.
Again, exception not rule. I didn't say it demonstrates incompetence or lack of skill, I'm saying the pro-activeness to do even a small part-time job is going to be significantly more favourable to your chances than doing nothing but doing applications. The OP asked for advice, the best advice is to do more than just do applications and sign up to a few virtual presentations. That is a fact.

BolderBlackPrincess

Dec 16, 2023
I have personally done this in the past when I graduated and it was fine as long as you had some work experiences to back up your application. They know tc application is almost a full time job and that youd be doing a lot of things along side, not just writing application (extra curriculars, open days, part time job and so on).
Plus its extremely difficult to get a city job nowadays upon graduation, so few months gap is not seen as a warning. Though, i think if you are still unemployed the next cycle (so Septemeber), its going to come across as a lack of proactiveness.

Its a competitve process and being ambitious and proactive is valued, but no firm wants a burned out trainee. Everyone needs to find their balance
A pub is a part-time job.

Reactions: Sunshinepink

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
This is incorrect actually. They will never ask why you have a gap. Once you pass the app stage, your work experience is irrelevant until they ask you competency questions during the interview e.g. tell me when you worked in a team and then you can draw on one of your work experience or even at university. They will never ask at interview stage especially when they know you just recently graduated, as to why you have a “gap”. What you can do to bridge that gap though after graduation is attending open days and virtual events to put in the work experience section. A lot of firms value this proactive approach to attending legal-specific events, especially when you’re doing master classes or workshops at such firms.
There is some truth to this in some instances, so I don’t think you can say it’s “incorrect”. Like most aspects of recruitment it’s completely subjective and down to personal preferences.

However, I have seen negative outcomes when a candidate has said at interview that they are not working full time to focus on applications off the back of a “what are you doing now” / “what have you been up to since you graduated question” because for many firms with more intense hours, they will wonder whether you are up to the pressure of working if you can’t work and still dedicate some time to application/recruitment processes. I don’t think this is the case for every candidate with every firm, but I have seen it enough to know it is a possibility.

Last edited:

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
I think it’s very much firm dependent. I did have a friend who applied earlier this cycle who took time off to work on apps after not getting a paralegal job and they got queried about this in an interview.

Of course you can attend open days/do virtual experiences etc and those proactive responses will be viewed positively, but I also think some firms wouldn’t take too well to seeing you taking the application season as effectively a full-time job when others are managing other priorities.

I imagine @Jessica Booker may be more informed to offer advice on this as may be misinterpreting, but just basing it off a friend in a similar predicament :)
It is not only firm dependent, but candidate dependent too. A gap of a month or so is probably ignored, but a gap of three or more months is more likely to gain attention (if it’s available information in the process), especially if you have less evidence of work experience on your application.

I personally wouldn’t recommend going full-time on recruitment processes because it’s not proactive evidence of you developing your skills nor keeping yourself busy. Most candidates will need to show evidence of an ability to multi task and juggle multiple commitments and focusing purely on applying/recruitment processes does not demonstrate this.

Seven

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
May 15, 2022
There is some truth to this in some instances, so I don’t think you can say it’s “incorrect”. Like most aspects of recruitment it’s completely subjective and down to personal preferences.

However, I have seen negative outcomes when a candidate has said at interview that they are not working full time to focus on applications of the back of a “what are you doing now” / “what have you been up to since you graduated question” because for many firms with more intense hours, they will wonder whether you are up to the pressure of working if you can’t work and still dedicate some time to application/recruitment processes. I don’t think this is the case for every candidate with every firm, but I have seen it enough to know it is a possibility.
Yeahh that's fair, probably wrong wording but yeah it is definitely firm-dependent like you said!!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Any advice on reaching out to Milbank 3.5 weeks after AC with no contact, despite being told 3 weeks was the absolute absolute maximum they would wait before giving responses. Do you know if Milbank has a track record of leaving in limbo (saying limbo, I know offers already out but would like confirmation of rejection)
Wait until the end of this week or even Monday and ask if there is an update on timescales (rather than an outcome).

Firms can have all the best intentions of having a certain timeframe to go back to candidates by and then something comes along and slows it down. All it takes is for someone to leave, be off sick, major issue or project needing to be prioritised and these things can go down the priority order (unfortunately).

I don’t know about their track record though, so can’t comment on that unfortunately.

bella98

Legendary Member
  • Mar 9, 2023
    Honestly, I would strongly advise against this strategy.

I know how time consuming the process is and the amount of time you want to dedicate to it, but the issue will be having a huge gap on your CV. If you get to AC interviews and they see you’re not currently employed after leaving uni, they may question that. If you say you’re spending the year solely focused on applications, I think they’d regard that as a poor use of time management/ability to balance various responsibilities when there will be plenty of others coping with applications, jobs, uni etc.

I also think you’d be incredibly bored and lose motivation. I think spending 4/5 months solid writing applications would be a drag. I think any form of employment/voluntary work is a better option :)

Have just seen @futuretrainee2023’s comment though and do feel it could probably work with winter schemes. Any grad jobs are competitive these days and if you say you’re actively looking but are also balancing apps, I reckon that’s fine. If you had an AC in March/April though and hadn’t been doing anything bar applications for 8 months, I’m less sure!
    I appreciate your perspective and the reasoning behind it, and while I see the value in gaining work experience to fill gaps in a CV, I think that taking any job, regardless of its relevance to your career aspirations is not necessarily the best course of action.
    I would say that if you're not constrained by immediate financial pressures, dedicating time and energy exclusively to applying for legal-related opportunities or even exclusively training contracts after graduation could indeed be a more strategic approach. Because if you work, say, as a sales assistant just to fill the gap in your CV after graduation, you are then exhausted after work and not able to dedicate the appropriate time to secure your dream job - I know many unfortunately don't have a choice and balance those responsibilities very well, but I'm talking for those who have.
    But that's just my opinion!

Reactions: Sharon Wu and Seven

LawBrah

Distinguished Member
  • Feb 15, 2023
    RE The Postgraduate job debate

What you really want is a job/volunteering role etc. that in reality has minimal or has very flexible hours that you put down on your CV as your current occupation. This allows you to have both the significant time necessary to secure a TC in this ridiculous market, and avoid the "so what have you been doing since graduating" which WILL come up imo frequently, including via the "tell us about yourself" question and others.

For example, a zero hours hospitality job where you can take 2 weeks off on demand to apply and prep for ACs (and attend the ACs themselves), or a volunteering position where you choose your own hours, and then go into an AC with "Barista Supervisor" or "Research Volunteer" as your current job is imo the best position to be in.

Real challenge of course is finding these positions and even harder to find ones that are particularly impressive.

laby201

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Jan 28, 2021
    I appreciate your perspective and the reasoning behind it, and while I see the value in gaining work experience to fill gaps in a CV, I think that taking any job, regardless of its relevance to your career aspirations is not necessarily the best course of action.
    I would say that if you're not constrained by immediate financial pressures, dedicating time and energy exclusively to applying for legal-related opportunities or even exclusively training contracts after graduation could indeed be a more strategic approach. Because if you work, say, as a sales assistant just to fill the gap in your CV after graduation, you are then exhausted after work and not able to dedicate the appropriate time to secure your dream job - I know many unfortunately don't have a choice and balance those responsibilities very well, but I'm talking for those who have.
    But that's just my opinion!
    I 100% understand your logic - I've done hospitality jobs before and hated it, so the thought of having to do that for the sake of it instead of solely applications doesn't sound appealing.

I believe it's important to have something than just applications/legal events. That could be volunteering, a part-time job, a full-time job, it doesn't really matter. Even if you're in the privileged position of not needing to work at all so can focus your energy on applications alone, it's exactly the problem of when it comes up in interviews. Part of a training contract, especially at the US firms, will be long hours, competing deadlines, and various priorities. Being exhausted is unfortunately part and parcel of that, so if they see that you're unable to balance applications with anything else, I don't think it reflects well.

I wish I didn't have to work full-time and could dedicate my time to applications, so completely appreciate where you're coming from. It just comes down to when you're asked about it in an interview (which many have said there is a strong possibility of); if you have a reasonable explanation other than purely applications, you can probably get by. If you don't, I fear it wouldn't play in your favour in comparison to those who are working full-time/at university full-time and at the same AC as you :)

Reactions: bella98 and Sharon Wu

bangarangbass39

Valued Member
    Sep 13, 2023
    RE The Postgraduate job debate

What you really want is a job/volunteering role etc. that in reality has minimal or has very flexible hours that you put down on your CV as your current occupation. This allows you to have both the significant time necessary to secure a TC in this ridiculous market, and avoid the "so what have you been doing since graduating" which WILL come up imo frequently, including via the "tell us about yourself" question and others.

For example, a zero hours hospitality job where you can take 2 weeks off on demand to apply and prep for ACs (and attend the ACs themselves), or a volunteering position where you choose your own hours, and then go into an AC with "Barista Supervisor" or "Research Volunteer" as your current job is imo the best position to be in.

Real challenge of course is finding these positions and even harder to find ones that are particularly impressive.
    Okay thank guys. Very reassuring. Something is better than nothing.

Reactions: Sharon Wu

Interested_In_Law

Sep 21, 2022
    On the topic of CV gaps, I’m wondering how it’s seen if you don’t have any extra curricular positions in final year? Uni is a real grind and balancing that with applications alone is tough enough, but is it ok if there’s a gap for extra-curriculars (or if you’re just going to events but not in a committee, or a team) in final year compared to the other years of your degree?

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.